Wednesday, August 31, 2016

National Overdose Day - We have a lot of work to do

Long before there was facebook or twitter, I lost my first friend to an overdose. I was a sophomore in high school when Ross Shalenberg passed away after mixing alcohol with valium. Today, I remember him for the carefree, fun loving kid that he was. He was too young to drive, but not too young to use. He grew up in a family where neither his mother or father was sober. His father was mean when he drank, and I can remember us talking about that while using together. He was trying to numb himself from the abuse he received daily, while I was using to try and escape abuse that had happened earlier in life. I do know that the only times I would see him laugh was when we were using. 


Since 1988 when he passed away, I have lost so many friends I have lost count. I have lost 15 in the past year and a half. I go to sleep and their faces play through my head as I lie awake at night. I play through the things I could have said or done differently. I  think of opportunities we missed in the community to help them because they don’t exist, then ponder how we can create and fund them. We are currently living in a crisis situation that a lot of people want to talk about. It is everywhere: news shows, newspapers, magazines, social media and even the radio. That is a start, but most of what you hear is misinformation and outright lies.

Here is the truth.

We are currently losing 129 people a day due to overdose.
More people died last year from overdoses than in car accidents.
Everyone of those deaths left behind survivors that were devastated: parents, children, siblings, significant others, extended family, friends, co-workers, fellow students, teachers, etc.
A lot of these deaths can be prevented with access to Narcan coupled with proper training and Good Samaritan 911 laws.
Those living with an active substance use disorder can get better and people in recovery can continue building a better life with improved access to treatment and recovery supports.

There are multiple pathways to recovery out there. You don’t have to agree with a pathway for it to be effective. If you are wondering what a path to recovery looks like, it can vary greatly depending on the individual. That is why we need to support all of the different paths people may take. Below is a small list of some of those pathways.

Detox is a great first step, but there are so many other methods out there.
Residential treatment works.
Outpatient treatment works.
Individual counseling works.
Treatment court works.
Couple’s counseling works.
Group therapy works.
Recovery community center works.
Drop-in center works.
Medicated assisted treatment works.
Abstinence works.
Narcotics Anonymous (and other 12 step meetings) works.
SMART Recovery works.
Celebrate Recovery works.
God works.
Pro-social activities work.
Recovery housing works.
Employment works.
Regular exercise works.
Meditation works.
Proper nutrition works.

There are so many different forms of recovery out there not available in most communities. There are so many pro-social activities not available as well. Life skills is lacking, as are many educational programs that should be available to those who are not actively in treatment, or who have already finished treatment. Funding is lacking. It is easier to fund an animal shelter than a recovery community center. Know this, each service your community lacks leads to loss of productivity, personal growth and even death.

We have to take a stand and let people know that enough is enough. We will not be silent any longer. There is a better way of life for those of us who manage to stop using. Treatment, detox and recovery supports need to be better funded. For that to happen, we must get the message of recovery out there. There are 23.5 million people in long-term recovery, and they must all step up and be loud and proud of their recovery if we hope to make positive change.

We HAVE to start working together so our voice becomes larger and louder. As long as we let fear and stigma control the message, we will never change the communities general attitude towards those living with an active substance use disorder. People will never know that not only is long-term recovery possible, it is probable when treatment and recovery supports are easily found and readily available.

Recovery is awesome.
Recovery is amazing.
I am what recovery looks like.
I am what a recovery advocate looks like.
Today, I am trying my best to make a difference.

ARE YOU?


If getting more involved sounds good to you, contact me at David@betterlifeinrecovery.com and I will help  you connect with people either in your city, region or state who are leading the way.  

1 comment:

  1. Though I have had my share of going "in and out" of recovery, the years I have had good sobriety means the world to me...the best years, with the most good quality I have ever lived. I treasure them...if I can be of any small help to someone else, "trying to climb out of the black hole"...I would be happy to do so.

    ReplyDelete